After watching a lot of Plasmo I decided to build my first historical armoured fighting vehicle. I picked the 1/72 scale IS-2 from Revell, mostly because it's cheap and easy.
The first few stages went very quickly. Some might say too quickly because I applied paint far too early.
You'll notice that I added more grey plastic which I'd have to paint again. Also the tow hook thing on the back is upside down.
The wheels for the tracks are a bit of a pain. The teeth on the cogs are just a awful.
The tracks were a non stretchy single ribbon of links. I test fit them with the intention of taking them off to paint and weather separately. They proved to be such a pain to get on I left them on after the test fit and glued them in place.
I decided that the tone of the green was a little too blue so I repainted the entire tank in a more yellow green which I think worked really well.
The decals were great fun to apply and softened really well. There were a couple of areas that didn't really work so I painted by hand.
I did my first real attempt at chipping using acrylics and a cocktail stick. I think they're a little too much but overall I think I achieved some depth. The rust on the turret weld seam was done using oils which I think worked perfectly, especially the contrast with the white stripes.
I then decided to chip the white paint. I think it worked quite well but in some areas it really shows that the decals are a little thick. I also came in with a yellow oil paint and did some highlighting.
The rear of the tank got a similar treatment. Here you can really see that I went overboard with the chipping.
I'm leaving it here for now. I'd like to do a little diorama at some point but I think i could do a better job after learning some lessons on this. The 1/72 scale was fiddly at some point but I think will work nicely for a diorama.
I'm very pleased with the result and will be doing some more AFV in the future.